Zach Claymation

Zach Claymation

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The first challenge- a meal with a loved one

The one thing that I have learned from three and a half years of college is that being a student can be very isolating. Sitting on your computer. alone. Doing your lab write up. alone. Grabbing a quick bite to eat in between lectures. alone. Its crazy to think that in a class of 200 people I would not meet a single person, oh but it happens a lot. The first week of my freshman year I feel like I met over a thousand people, and then something happened. People were comfortable, no one needed to meet anyone else it seemed. But I think thats very normal and I completely include myself in the group of people that no longer makes an effort to get to know others.

But that will change. If no one ever reads this blog but it gets me to go out and meet others or just improve the relationships that I already have, awesome. A change has been made for the better and I will take that no matter how insignificant that may seem. So here was my week's challenge- When listening to pandora the other day, "cats in the cradle" by harry chapin came on. I said to myself, " i should really take the time to call my dad and spend some time with him".

So this sunday morning I am coming home early to have a big breakfast with him, followed by going to my grandfathers for lunch and helping him with some house projects. The challenge is to make some time to spend with a family member or friend who you may not see or talk to very often, but who is special to you. Try to pick a person who you would benefit greatly from seeing and someone who you think would greatly appreciate your company. Relish it, and let that feeling remind you of how great it is to love and to be loved. Isolation is a conscious decision, and no one should go through life alone. peace.

1 comment:

  1. Aw!! Wish you were closer! I'd love to cook us a big breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete